Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Sample Warp Exploration


"Mac" (my new 8H loom) needs a project! :) Hmm, perhaps it would be more accurate to say that I need a project for Mac! At any rate, my first 8H project is a series of shadow weave towels from Handwoven magazine Nov/Dec 2007. The six towels use the same warp, but six different weft combinations.

The trick is (according to the designer Vicki Tardy) to use the right warp colors....none of which I happen to have! Well, what I have is close, just not exact. So, what do you do when you are unsure? You test things!

The photo shows my nine combinations of light/dark warp threads. The lights: white, cream, grey. The darks: light blue, a blue/lightblue twist, and a black/grey twist. I have these 9 combinations plus another 9 or 10 to test as wefts!

Hooray for explorations in weaving!

No comments: