Sunday, July 15, 2007

Dye Day







When the temperature drops enough that I can run the oven I dye! These two rovings were inspired by the dyes left in my dye-bottles. The first one is mostly red and green...with a hint of magenta. I call it "Not-quite Christmas".








The second set has greens, blues, and pink. It's really pretty. It was so nice that I had to take a bit and see how it looked spun. I like it!

Oven dyeing like this is still an art form that I'm working on mastering. I soak the rovings in warm water and white vinegar. Then I drain the rovings, place them in my oven dyepots, and squirt acid dyes on them. I've learned that I like a lot of dye (intense colors, fewer white sections), but there is still a puddling effect with the dyes on the bottom layer in the dyepot. I place the pots in a cool oven, set the temp for 350 F and the timer for 30 minutes. When the timer dings, out come amazing surprises!

No comments: