Wednesday, December 06, 2006

A little bit of this...

It all started out with wanting to do some dyeing the other night. So, I dyed. Then I dyed some more. And some more! The yarn is from a single roving wound into a ball and dyed in a ziplock bag. Blue dye was poured into one corner and heated. The excess dye liquid was poured off. Then magenta dye was poured into the other corner of the bag. The roving was steamed in the microwave to set the dye.











This roving was handpainted. I didn't have as much time to paint as I would have liked, so there is a lot of unpainted roving! However, the dye set well with a 30-40 minute steam session in the dyepot. (The last set I painted left my fingers blue after spinning.)















And this....well, this is about ready for the "frog pond" as they say in the knitting world! I'd like to be able to use this little loom to make a scarf or two, but this initial attempt isn't going to cut it. The tension across the warp is uneven. The weft looks ok in this picture, but it really hides the colors in the warp. So, attempt #1, farewell. We'll see what attempt #2 brings!

No comments: