Sunday, April 05, 2009

To Darn or Not To Darn


This is my sock. It is a holey sock. It needs to be repaired...or recycled...or???

I made these socks on my knitting machine about 5 years ago. They were knit flat, with short row shaping for the toe and heel, and seamed up the sides. They have short cuffs and loose feet--they are the first pair of socks I ever made on the knitting machine, and maybe my first pair of socks ever (I was terribly intimidated by double point needles for a while!). They have been darned multiple times this last year. Can you see the light blue patch in the upper right corner of the photo? That's a patch job. The heels have patch jobs. But it looks like the yarn is just wearing out all over. Sigh. Is it worth darning these socks anymore? At some point I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just knit myself some new bed socks.

Hmm. Maybe this is a good thing. Bed socks use cheap acrylic yarns from the stash. Cheap acrylic Worsted Weight yarn. Hmm. Worsted Weight. Worsted weight knits up fast. Fast knitting...hmm. Maybe I could try a new sock pattern with my fast knitting worsted weight yarn. Hmmm. I'm beginning to like this idea! :)

No comments: