Monday, August 04, 2008

Experiments with Brocade


I'm working on odds and ends these days. Quite some time ago I put this dark blue cotton warp on my small loom. It didn't work the way I had hoped, so I let it sit for a while. --Now it's being used for a bit of brocade.

Helene Bress' Inkle Weaving has a few pages on brocade. It's a pick-up technique that is weft dependent. Most inkle weaving pick-up patterns require the color to be threaded in the warp. With brocade it's only the weft that matters--perfect for my solid color warp!

These patterns are my very first ones....I think I'll need to do quite a few more to decide what patterns look good and what works best with this warp.

warp: dark blue, unmercerized cotton (4/2?)
weft: binder-dark blue sewing thread. pattern-3/2 variegated mercerized cotton.

1 comment:

Peg in South Carolina said...

How interesting! I did not know that weft brocade was possible with an inkle loom.