Thursday, January 18, 2007

Bits and Pieces




These are my finished object for the week. They are my first pair of toe-up socks! I cast-on with the "easy toe" in Charlene Schurch's Sensational Knitted Socks, worked a 5-stitch pattern, did a short-row heel, and chose to make them anklets before I ran out of yarn! (That's what I get for using up leftovers!) I was pleased with the easy toe start--it was, well, easy. I'm not sure about the short-row heel...I may need to experiment with other types of heels.








This odd looking invention is my newest bobbin winder. I usually use my charka to wind my boat shuttle bobbins--a rubber band on the spindle holds the plastic 4" bobbin reasonably well. But this is better.

On the left is my Grandmother's cone winder. On the right is a cone (that fits the cone winder very well) with a screwdriver taped in it. The cone and screwdriver go on the cone winder. The bobbin goes on the screwdriver. One hand turns the cone winder crank, the other helps the yarn wind on smoothly.

Someday I will probably invest in a "real" bobbin winder. For now, this makes bobbing winding almost easy.

No comments: