A fellow I know from church needed a new sweater for his little dog. He knows I am a fiber artist and spoke to me at one point last year, but nothing came of the idea of making a dog sweater. This year, however, we connected and I have made two sweaters.
The green sweater is an old one that the dog has worn for years. The special part is the sleeves for both the front and back legs. The replacement is the blue one. The yarns are 100% acrylic (blue) and an acrylic/wool blend (grey). The sweater was knit in 6 parts--4 legs, the back, and the chest--sewn together and stitches picked up to knit the ribbing for the neck.
If I were to redo the sweater, I would change the sleeves. I used stockinette stitch for them and they have a tendency to curl. I used a broken rib stitch for the body and it doesn't curl. The broken rib stitch would have been better for the sleeves.
I made a second sweater for the dog. This one is the one I really wanted to do! It has a woven back piece with knit sleeves, neck and chest. I was surprised that it took just as long to make this one as it did to make the knitted one.