Saturday, February 06, 2010

A Journey of a Thousand Threads...

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Lao-tzu

This warp has 1008 threads. It has become a journey and a challenge.

My plans started with the desire to weave yardage to make a skirt. It sounds straight forward enough, right? I did a sampler before Christmas and got an idea of what my sett should be, only to decide recently that I didn't like the idea of plain weave or twill for this fabric. I wanted something more interesting--something I couldn't buy in a store.

It took a lot of searching to find the right pattern. In the end, I chose a set of somewhat irregularly spaced dots that uses 7-shafts. I wove some tea towels as samples. The exciting part of the sampling was that the dots showed up even when the warp and weft were the same color yarn! Yea!

Now, I have 1008 ends threaded through the reed on my loom...3 per dent in a 10-dent reed. I've had problems in the past with three threads tangling, so I took some extra time and wound the warp with two threads at a time, but made a 1x1 cross (I even made a teeny tiny warping paddle to make this easier!). Then I threaded the reed in single thread layers. I am currently at the point of threading the heddles. It's not moving very fast, but I'm still working on it!

Here's to an interesting journey!
1008 threads through the reed




















three layers of threads














tea-towel sampler

No comments: